Monday, October 22, 2012

Business & Blog Goals


When I first started blogging, I was scared. Not only was I afraid that I wasn't going to "succeed" at it, but I was scared of sharing that side of me with the people that I actually know. I even felt a little ashamed when I would tell people about my hopes and dreams. I felt weird when I talked about my Etsy shop and my web design projects, that people would doubt my ability due to my complete lack of formal education in relevant fields. I was afraid to talk about the goals I've set for myself because I didn't want to hear anyone tell me that I'd never make it happen. The problem here is not specific people bringing me down, but the fact that I had become so obsessed with how others were going to judge me that I didn't try to break out and do something for myself. Today I'm going in with complete disregard and sharing what I want to do, because everyone should take the time to dream big. Many of these goals are very long-term, but it'd be nice to knock a few off in the next year or so, and I intend to do just that.

Business Goals: 

When I refer to my business, I'm generally talking about the small shop that I have online that currently carries no products and makes no income. The truth of the matter is that a blog can be a business all on its own. With this in mind, here are some of the goals I'm setting for my business, blog included.

Finish my blog design
As of yet I'm not 100% happy with the visual aesthetic of my blog. I've a few budding ideas on how to tweak it here and there, but it's not quite where I want it just yet. I'm also a stubborn DIYer and refuse to have anyone else design it for me. I will be happy only when I've successfully done this myself.


Buy a vintage van or trailer & mobilize
This is kind of a big deal for me. Instead of running a traditional brick-and-mortar shop, the original idea I had for my business was to take it on the road with me. I'd love to just get out and go whenever I want, and sustain myself with income from the items I've made by hand. For this to work, I not only need to find a pretty caravan to take myself away in, but I need to set up my headquarters online so that my customers have a consistent means of keeping in touch with me. Getting my driver's license would certainly help, too.


Reach 100 followers
That's right - I'm a newbie. While I wrote a blog for Shubette Handmade before this one and recently switched blogging platforms, I hadn't dabbled in sponsorships and advertising before. I think it's going to be much easier to find my target audience now, and this goal seems very doable in the near future.


Have a project featured on Craftzine
Or do they call it Makezine now? Regardless, I have a lot of ideas. Some of these are really crafty and original projects(or so I'd like to believe), and it'd be pretty darn awesome to have a how-to featured on one of the biggest crafty zines on the 'net.


Become a featured blogger on Modcloth
Yes, at this time I have no fashion related posts. This is something I've been meaning to fix. First I'll need to get some supplies for self-portraiture(camera remote & tripod), and then I'll need to work on my style posts! This is going to take a lot of work, but it would be such an honor to be recognized by a brand this huge. Maybe someday when my shop gets rolling I'll add "Sell my handmade accessories on Modcloth" to my goal list, but for now I'll just worry about selling any of my handmade goods.

 

Design 10 unique items
I'm starting small for this one. One of the biggest issues I have with selling my items is that most of the things I create are custom orders. This means I'm usually carrying no stock whatsoever, and I need to fix that if I ever plan on making a living. 

 

So these are my hopes and dreams right now. I could have gone on forever with numerical goals, such as "List 100 items in my shop" or "Get my sponsor button on 20 different blogs", but I realize that if I start out small, these accomplishments will accumulate before I know it. All I have to do is really try to earn a living. Do you have any blog or business goals that you're trying to achieve within the next year or so?

2 comments:

  1. These are great goals! I especially like the mobilize one... it's one of my dreams to get an old caravan or trailer and do it up into a travelling Red Parka wagon of crafty goodness!
    Goodluck! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! I can't help but picture you in a big ol' van wrapped up in a giant, puffy, red jacket. Haha!

    ReplyDelete