Friday, October 26, 2012

My First Custom Card Order

I was recently asked to create a custom anniversary card for my new friend Kate's first wedding anniversary. Since the card was for her husband, I strived to make it romantic, yet masculine, and to draw inspiration from some invitations and stationery from their wedding. Here's what I came up with:


The text on the front of this card was pulled straight from Kate's Save-the-Dates! I'm especially happy with how the ampersand turned out! I used just a little bit of gold thread to give it some definition.


Initially, I had planned on stamping on the words on the ribbons, but the ink just didn't want to show up on my gold cardstock. I'm always a bit nervous when it comes to using handwriting on a project, but I think I really nailed it this time.

The lacy border with the heart design has actually been cut from one of the invitations! I then used a similarly textured paper on the inside of the card, repeating the border detail as well.


Since this was an anniversary card, I thought the message on the inside should be something personal and meaningful, so I left it blank to allow her to write her own. I tried stamping the "Happy Anniversary" message, but was disappointed again by my inability to stamp neatly. I covered it with ribbons of the same gold cardstock that I used on the front of the card. The envelope you see here is one of the envelopes used to send out invitations, so I made sure the card matched it in color and size. Then there was this project:


When I first talked to Kate, she described to me an item that she discovered on Pinterest. She said she found the item for sale for $45, but the link I found, luckily, was this tutorial on Smashed Peas and Carrots. It pretty much laid out the entire project for me, but I saved some money by using a heart-shaped stencil rather than die-cutting them. The words in the majority of the hearts are the lyrics to the couples' wedding song, while the two red hearts spell out "One down..." and "Forever to go." The other two hearts show the states in which they met and were married, with little red stars over the specific cities.

As I was finishing up, Brad suggested that I add a little more depth by gluing patterned paper around the frame! If you look closely, you can see that the pattern on this paper mimics that on the front of the card, but it's burgundy instead of golden brown! As for the hearts, I don't think I'll ever be happy with how uneven the lyrics are, but all that mattered is that my client said it was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment