Saturday, November 17, 2012

Week of Thanks: Day 2


One thing that I'm thankful for is cats. This includes all of the cats everywhere, of course, but today I'll be focusing on the family cat, Lefty. Unfortunately, some of things Lefty does can be rather gory, and I will be touching on some of those those points today. I'll ask you to skip over the next paragraph if you are weak of heart or stomach, as I get just little bit graphic. If you are not a cat person, then you can go ahead and read the next paragraph. Maybe you'll learn some respect.

Lefty was an outdoor cat for some time. He is crass and tough, and sometimes gets rid of pests around the house. Because of this I can forgive him for occasionally leaving body parts on the floor - for example, I've found blood, a wiry mouse-tail, and a tiny little grey organ, which I truly believed to be a heart. I've seen him rip the skin and head clean off of a squirrel and completely eat the rest of it. He is a predator, and I respect that. I'd like to believe that he respects me, too. Perhaps it's for all the spiders he has watched me kill. I just don't eat them afterwards.

Despite being such a killy-predator-type, Lefty is soft and kind. He never turns down cuddles and always comes back for more love. He knows how to say that he wants attention better than I do. He also enjoys falling asleep in my lap and on top of our constantly-vibrating DVR.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that we need to take time to appreciate. Sometimes those little things can make very big changes in our lives, and sometimes those little things are cute and fluffy balls of fur. These are the things I'm thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment