Tuesday, December 11, 2012

HCW: Papercrafting Tools, Part II


Welcome back to Holiday Cardmaking Week! If you loved yesterday's post about my most-loved cutting tools and adhesives, then you're in for a treat today! I'm going to be talking about some more of my favorite tools! Are you ready?

First, I'd like to mention that one very important method that you'll be using during the card-making process is scoring. By using a blunt, stylus-type utensil, you can trace along the fold-line of your card-stock to ensure your creases end up smooth and straight. I don't personally own a scorer, but there are plenty of pointy objects that you can find around the house that will do the trick(i.e.: a toothpick, the curved edge of a paperclip, side of a coin).


Once you've covered the basics of cutting, adhering, and scoring, the rest is really up to you. I love to incorporate different stamps & punches for various effects. The small punch on the top left, for example, creates cute little hearts that I like to use as confetti inside envelopes, while the large blue punch on the right is perfect for creating beautiful, lacy edged borders.

Stamps are also perfect for dressing up any card or scrapbooking page. If you're looking to do some lettering, you can find itty bitty alphabet stamp sets for super cheap at craft stores. You can find some pretty handy dandy tools around the house, too. Take my little blue pencil, for example...


By sticking a flat-headed sewing pin into my spent eraser, I've created my own tool for making dots. Just dip it into your paint (or nail polish - I won't judge you) and dab it right on.


I'm sure there are tons of little shapes that I could find around the house to create stamping tools out of, but what doesn't look a hundred times cuter covered in polka dots?


Thanks for reading! Do you have any favorite tools that you've made from household objects?

No comments:

Post a Comment