Monday, January 7, 2013

New Blog Resolutions


Hey, folks! In the beginning of a new year, we often find ourselves reflecting, restarting, and resolving. Naturally, one of the things I've really been reflecting on is my blog and the direction in which I'd like it to move. I've been researching ways to improve this space of mine for a little while now, and have come up with 10 things that I'd like to change, add, or improve to make my blogging better by the end of the year!

1. Get organized and integrate a planner

This has been something I've already been working on throughout the month and have been making considerable progress on. I'm not really sure how to go about organizing my thoughts sometimes, and I'm one of those forgetful types who can never seem to remember to regularly check a planner. I've discovered that the important thing is to just go ahead and try it; I'm learning what works and what doesn't along the way.

2. Redesign my blog

I've always had a vague idea of how I wanted my blog to look, but I feel as though the overall appearance is still very rough around the edges. However, I've come to a bit of a design-block, so I think it's time to start from a blank slate and look at things from a new perspective entirely.

3. Add an "About Me" blurb

I suppose this is something that will come along with the new blog design, but I think it's an important element to have all on its own. When I read a new blog, I like to be able to see the face behind the disembodied text. It helps me to connect with that person and adds the "human element" that separates the blogging community from the rest of the interwebz.

4.More frequent posting

This is another item that I've been working on, and it seems that getting organized and planning ahead is helping immensely. It also seems that just buckling down and getting to writing helps to inspire me to come up with fresh, new content, and ideas I may not have thought of if I wasn't already working on something creative.

5. Incorporate style posts

If you were here on Friday, then you probably noticed that I've been working on this, too. Since my school days and long past, I have always been a fashion nightmare. At the time, I called it "alternative fashion." Over the past year or so I've come to make some improvements, discover what works better with my body type, and just try to express myself without lookin' a fool. I'd like this to be a part of my blog!

6. Edit & update pages

Honestly, I haven't checked to see what the other pages on my blog look like in quite some time. Is anyone else guilty of this? I should probably read them over, see how they're lacking, and add more information, as necessary.

7. Create a Press/Media kit

Did you know that I'm available for hire? Neither does anyone else. To make myself available as a designer, I need to put together a resumé. As a blogger, that's where a press kit comes into play.

8. Integrate a more professional email address

I'll admit it - my inbox is in shambles. I tend to miss important messages in all the newsletters and coupons that flood my Gmail account. Worse yet, this account is linked with my Blogger and Google+ accounts, so when I'm logged into my new, more professional-sounding email, I can't even edit my blog! Any ideas on making this transition a little easier?

9. Reach out and socialize with other bloggers

This is something I've been struggling with. I'm ridiculously shy, and it takes a lot of mental preparation to leave a comment, send an email, or even to say hello to someone I've met before. I thought that in blogging I would surpass some of these personal boundaries, and I hope that I will be able to make more progress on this and other awkward social situations this year.

10. Monetize!

In all honesty, I'm jobless. I initially started blogging to share the trials of building my creative business, but blogging has become its own business, and with the time and effort I'm putting into it, why shouldn't I get paid for it? So this year, I'd like to make a little money blogging, if possible. I'd also like to get my posts written ahead of schedule, so that I have more time on my hands to put into launching my shop.

These are the things that I intend to accomplish in the blogging world this year! I've been throwing around some other ideas here and there, so you may even see some additional changes taking place. What goals do you project to accomplish in blog-land in the near future?

No comments:

Post a Comment