Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY: Dry Erase Calendar

I'll admit that staying organized is not one of my strong points. I've spent a lot of time searching for a calendar that is efficient for blogging, but many of them have fallen short. A real, physical calendar is hard to edit and change around, a printable calendar is such a waste (and not so environmentally-kind), and online applications are not always accessible(due to lack of internet connection or server shutdown, which is an issue I had with my own calendar app as I was typing this). So, of course, I fixed my problem by making my own decorative dry-erase calendar!

The materials this project requires are:
  • Picture frame
  • Sheet of light-colored paper that is large enough to fill frame
  • Picture backing or cardboard scrap cut down to size of frame
  • Ruler
  • Pen
  • Dry-erase markers
Disassemble your frame. If this destroys the canvas in the frame, you will need a piece of cardboard large enough to replace it.


Paint your frame, if you find it necessary. I used some shiny bronze paint that I had lying around.


While your frame dries, draw a calendar template on your paper, then adhere the paper to your cardboard base using invisible tape. Be sure to leave room on top of your calendar area to write in the month and week names. I chose to leave an open space to the right to make notes or doodle in.


Assemble the calendar. Make sure your glass is perfectly clean on both sides before inserting it back into the frame. Because I couldn't find a sheet of paper large enough, I created a border out of contrasting paper and laid this into place before carefully inserting my calendar paper and cardboard into the frame.


Before securing the back of the frame, turn it around to be sure that everything is in the right place. It's very easy to misplace your paper when inserting the backing, place the calendar template in upside-down, or even drop a little hair or something behind the glass and not notice until you've already put it together. Check a million times to make sure none of these things happen, or else you may end up having to take the whole thing apart again to clean it out. 

Once your sure that it looks perfect, secure your frame. Mine required the hassle of prying down staples with a screwdriver to hold it all together. This part may be a bit difficult, so feel free to recruit a helper!


Now it's time to hang it up! Then you can proceed to fill it in using any dry-erase markers you may have on hand. I use mine to record my blog post schedule, but yeah, you can doodle in some weather symbols and write cutesy holiday messages too, if that's your thing...


Now just write, erase, and enjoy! I hope you've found my tutorial useful; thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment