Saturday, May 24, 2014

DIY Stamped Tribal Sweatshirt


Thanks for stopping in! Today I wanted to share a quick little tutorial that can be done on basically any old shirt that needs a little sprucing up. Plus, it's super easy and inexpensive! Here's what you'll need:
  • a plain t-shirt
  • acrylic paint
  • wax paper
  • pencil and sharpener
  • foam sheet
  • paint brush
  • wooden peg (optional; see first image below for usage)

First, I created a triangular stamp by cutting out three congruent triangles from my foam sheet, gluing them, and stacking them together. I then created a handle for my stamper out of a wooden peg that I found in the wood-crafts section at my local craft store.


Once the glue holding my stamp together had  had enough time to dry, I threw some black paint down on a palette made of wax-paper and started stamping away, first onto the front pocket of my shirt.


Then I stamped a triangle design around the shirt's collar.


After my triangles were stamped on, I still felt like something was missing...


I created a small circular stamp, this time using a pencil. In order to make smaller circles, I ran my unsharpened pencil through a sharpener until it was shaved down to my desired size.


Then I proceeded to stamp on little dots with my pencil, accenting wherever I found it necessary.


To add some color, I painted dark red outlines along the shirt's front neckline, outlined the pocket, and painted colorful rings around the sleeves.


I found heavy cylindrical objects around the house to place inside the sleeves and hold them in place for painting and drying. (I weighed down the other sleeve with a large candle!)


Once finished, I left my shirt on the table overnight to allow the paint to dry.


After the paint has dried, it's all done! Enjoy your one-of-a-kind wearable work of art! Thanks for reading!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually a lot of fun! Thanks for your comment, Leah!

      Delete