Thursday, June 12, 2014

How to Browse Etsy the "Old Fashioned" Way


I don't know about you, but when I'm browsing Etsy to find items of a specific category, or even just shopping around for something I really admire to jump out at me, I find that their new curated item-browsing method just doesn't always cut it.


Sometimes I'm curating an Etsy treasury or blog post, and I'm not looking for anything specific, but waiting to be engaged by whatever I find striking. Sometimes I'm just looking to browse new jewelry, and don't have any particular preference in mind regarding necklaces vs. bracelets and whatnot. And sometimes I find myself feeling nostalgic over the way Etsy's browsing system used to be...


Thankfully, I figured out a pretty simple method of URL-hacking Etsy's search function to bypass their annoying gallery-style browsing method. It really isn't as hard as it sounds, and I'm going to walk you through it in only two quick steps!

First of all, you should have in mind which category you intend on browsing. However, rather than clicking directly on that category in the "Browse" menu, try typing it into the search bar instead.


In fact, you don't even need to write anything specific in the search bar. Any old query will do. Hit the 'Search' button.


Now that you've entered either a relevant or totally random word to search for, we're going to get rid of it! Click on your address bar and you'll see your search query, proceeded by 'q='. Highlight it, delete it, and load this URL instead.


Once the page loads, you can go ahead and select your desired category from the menu without having to worry about their silly curated browsing method! Also, remember to bookmark the page for your future Etsy-browsing convenience!


Please share or 'Pin' this blog post if you've found it helpful! Thanks for reading, and be sure to let me know in the comments if you have any questions!


post signature

2 comments:

  1. That's always how I search for things on Etsy. Great to know I'm not alone!

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I love searching Etsy this way, mostly because I hate feeling like I'm leaving out a less-popular business just because Etsy hasn't recognized them yet!

      Delete