Saturday, September 6, 2014

Suicide Prevention & Awareness Playlist

CC image courtesy of Yuliya Libkina

In case you're unaware, September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day. I've decided to write this blog post because I have a few people in life who are, in fact, survivors of suicide.

To them, I'd like to say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I wasn't around when you needed someone. Or maybe I was in your life at the time, and I just never knew to help, or never felt important enough to you to say anything. Maybe, at some point, I've even contributed to your pain. Either way, there's no excuse for it. Truthfully, I'm just thankful that you're alive today, and that I get to enjoy your smiling face, even if I don't get to see you in person all that often anymore. I'm happy when I know that you're happy, and please believe me when I say that you're always in my thoughts.

To those still struggling with depression or thoughts of suicide or self harm, I just want you to know that there's someone out there. You may not know it, and you may not feel it, but there are people out there who really do care about you, those who will miss you when you're gone, those who will ache emotionally and physically for weeks after the news of your passing, and those who will never be the same without you, I promise. As alone as you feel right now, as much pain as you're experiencing, know that you have a family member or friend that cares about you and is willing to help. I know that you can pull through this. I know because I've done it, too.

This playlist features some truly wonderful and uplifting songs released between 1977 and 2006 - some are optimistic, some empathetic, but each one bears the message that there's much more to experience in life than the pain that you may be going through. You have so much more than you know.

When times are hard, music is one of the greatest mood elevators that we have; when written out of true anguish and played with extreme passion, songs are so unique in their ability to communicate in ways that conversation cannot. Because of this, I thought a playlist would be the most appropriate method of expression on the subject. The first song is one of my personal favorites, A Better Place, A Better Time by Streetlight Manifesto. It's meaningful, beautiful, and says so much more than I could ever say.



Please share this with anyone that you feel might need a little pick-me-up, or someone that just deserves the love. If you ever need to talk, or just need someone to listen - for any reason - please send me an email, and let me know. You can type your heart out, or even ask me for my phone number and then sob in my ear. Whatever you may be going through, we can overcome it together. You don't have to do it alone.

If you're still having a hard time and unable to find someone to talk to (or if I'm unavailable), please call the Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (if you're in the United States. For my European readers, you can find the equivalent phone number for your specific country on this page.)

If you have songs that you'd recommend adding to the list, please let me know in the comments. Thanks for taking the time to read today's post.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautifully written post. I agree with you with all of the points. Sucide is something that is important for all of us to be informed on.

    ReplyDelete