Thursday, November 6, 2014

Bridal Gown Shopping - Part 2



In July I wrote about my first ever bridal appointment. As you can imagine, I tried on quite a few wedding dresses that day, and spent literally hours being stuffed into different undergarments and frilly things. When I was finished, I was confused. I had kind of, sort of, maybe liked a few. There were two in particular that my entourage really appreciated - and they were beautiful - but nothing that was quite what I was hoping for.

I scheduled another appointment. Then I cancelled it. I made tentative dress-shopping plans with my mom. I cancelled them, too.

Then, my grandma sent me her wedding dress. It was absolutely beautiful.


Unfortunately, no matter what we tried, the dress just wouldn't fit. My gram was a pretty tiny lady, after all.

I mulled over my options for months. The gowns from my fitting were all similar to what I wanted, and I had a decent range of prices to choose from, but none of them seemed to have that special something. Everything was too modern, too plain, too uncomfortable, or too embellished, and nothing had the sort of silhouette that I wanted.

In the back of my mind, I had been throwing around the idea of having a custom dress made. There was an Etsy bridal shop that a friend showed me that I was starting to obsess over, and I felt as though none of the dresses I tried on during my fitting really compared. I wanted to try on a few more in order to get an idea of what features I like & dislike in a gown, but I didn't want to waste another saleswoman's time when I didn't intend on buying.

And then I just stopped thinking about it. I let it go for awhile, and I quit focusing on wedding things. Once my head was clear, I caught myself browsing that same Etsy shop again and again.

Last Sunday I messaged the dressmaker, and I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders by opting for the dress of my dreams. I'm currently in the process of sketching my perfect bridal gown and deciding on every little detail, and I couldn't be happier with my choice!

When things are more certain, I will be super-excited to share this wonderful dressmaker with you, as well as my sketches and inspiration for my dress. In the meantime, I have a lot of wedding planning left to do! Thanks for reading!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment