Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blogging Via Smartphone: Pros & Cons


I finally got myself a new smartphone! I've been without one for over a year now, so yeah, I'd say this is pretty exciting news. Although I've needed one for quite some time, (I basically feel like I'm writing from the Stone Age) I finally cracked and got a little LG Optimus Fuel because of all the traveling that Brad and I have been doing for work lately. Needless to say, it's been much easier to stay connected with my blog and get more done! Well, there have been some ups and downs, to be completely honest. But, rather than focusing on all of the bells & whistles on my new phone, I thought I'd discuss the specifics of getting my blogging done on the go, and how this little guy helps me out along the way!

Pros:
  • I can get more blogging done! This one makes me incredibly happy, as I've been having more difficulty finding time to do my writing since we've been on the road.
  • The phone was actually pretty inexpensive. I am but a frugal, frugal baby.
  • This allows me to get a ton of smaller tasks done away from home, such as responding to emails and comments, which would typically cut into my writing time.
  • I can improve my social media presence! I'm finally back on my Instagram account again, and Twitter is so much easier to keep up with when you can access it throughout the day. You can follow me at @Brittanibus on either of these sites!
  • And then, of course, there are a million billion apps out there to make blogging easier and to increase my productivity that I've just been neglecting. Some of my favorites (for Android) are Todoist, Evernote, IF (If This Then That), and Google Analytics. I'm also looking forward to trying out Hootsuite, as well as testing out various photo editing apps!
On the other hand, there have been some realizations (and already too many mishaps) regarding this silly little device that have been keeping me from wanting to take this plunge wholeheartedly.

Cons:
  • I have to be honest: I was enjoying being disconnected. When I had my own cell phone, I allowed myself to get really wrapped up in what was going on online, and I became distant from the people and experiences that were happening around me. Now I have to make a conscious effort to only check my phone when necessary so as to keep from getting too wrapped up in social media.
  • There's no "Swype" feature, so texting and blogging kinda take forever. I wonder if there's an app I can download for that...
  • Oh, and the official Blogger app decided that it was going to revert this week's already-published Tuesday Treasures into a very rough draft while syncing. So I immediately deleted the application and had to find a way to restore my blog post. So fun.
Ultimately, as a blogger, I'd say it's been really silly of me to have gone this long without a Smartphone. Despite all of the tics and horrible learning experiences that come along with having one, it's proved itself invaluable in assisting with many blogging-related tasks and goals, although I can't say it functions well enough to provide access to the most basic building blocks of blogging: writing and publishing content, and improving your user experience. Do you do your blogging via Smartphone? What are your favorite apps to use for blogging and productivity?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment