Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Engagement Story


This week celebrates the one-year anniversary of my engagement to the funniest, handsomest, kindest, most wonderful man I've ever met. He's also surprisingly romantic, so you're being forewarned: it's about to get all sorts of sappy up in here.


We originally went on vacation to see Brad's brother and his wife tie the knot in New Orleans, but we ended up extending our trip and taking some time to see Florida as well. While staying in the house that Brad's family rented for the occasion, we decided to venture out and find a nice beach, in order to stop and say hello to the big, beautiful Atlantic Ocean.

I was pretty excited when I realized just how close we were to the very lighthouse I mentioned wanting to visit before the trip, but ultimately we decided to press on and save the lighthouse tour and a climb to the top for another day. We got close enough to snap a few photos, of course!


From the lighthouse, we found a nearby beach that wasn't too crowded and started to take a slow stroll along the cool, wet sand on the coast. We didn't need to say too much as we just enjoyed each other's company and walked hand-in-hand.


We walked for quite some time, looking at pieces of seashells strewn along the beach and searching for hidden treasures washed ashore. We had reached a more secluded part of the beach when Brad seemed to notice something. "What's this?" he asked, bending to one knee and pretending to gingerly pluck something from the sand. I approached to see what he had found, and saw a gorgeous white pearl engagement ring shining between his fingers as he looked up at me.


"Do you wanna marry me?" he asked. I don't think I said anything, but fell to my knees to meet him and wrapped my arms around him. We both knelt there on the beach holding one another, when eventually the tide was swept in and cold, gentle waves began to hit our arms and shoulders and creep away again. Brad was the first to break the silence. "So that's a yes?" he asked, as if he needed a reply.


Afterwards, a man noticed us attempting to take a photo of ourselves with a disposable camera we picked up for the trip and ran to our aid. "I just had to meet the only two people who still don't own a digital camera!" he said as he handed it back to us.


Naturally, we celebrated by taking some corny couples pictures and enjoying a romantic supper at the Port Orange Steakhouse! You can see some of my photos from that day by checking out my post on the Ponce de León Lighthouse, or even see the scrapbook page I made using photos from that day as well! Thanks for stopping by!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. It's so fun to read other people's story. Your kids are going to love this someday, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I'm so relieved that I've finally gotten it written down. :)

      Delete
  2. I love hearing engagement story. . . and you definitely have a cute one!! Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete