Saturday, March 28, 2015

What To Do if You've Accidentally Deleted a Blog Post


If you've been blogging for awhile, then I'm sure you've experienced it, too. The first time it happened to me, I had pressed "CTRL+Z" to undo a sentence I was in the midst of typing, when suddenly the entire draft I was working on went blank. My eye twitched. I tried to undo it, to open an older version of the post before it was too late, but I could plainly see that Blogger's Auto-save feature was already at work. My draft was gone. I was so close to finishing that post, and it was gone forever. In another occurrence, I managed to sync my blog data with an earlier point in time, completely erasing a post that I had already published!

Of course, the very first thing I did in each instance was scream and cry and rip my hair out, but eventually you have to face the facts and get your post rewritten before your deadline, or even worse, before anyone notices that it's missing. Here are the next few steps I've learned that you can take to get things back to normal again.

1. Don't panic! Just focus on the positive. You've still got all the photos you've uploaded, right? Did you write the post recently enough that you remember the layout of the content? Use these advantages to push past this stressful time and this feeling of powerlessness and focus on what you actually can do to make it better.

2. Try to recover it. If your post had already been published, then you're in luck; it's actually super easy! Check to see if Google stored a cached version of your blog post or page. You can do this by entering the following URL into your address bar, followed by the URL of the page you're looking for.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:

For example, the URL I used to view the blog post I nearly lost looked like this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://brittanibus.blogspot.com/2015/02/tuesday-treasures-52.html

And this is what a cached page looks like. At the top, you'll see a message stating that this is only a snapshot of the page as it was recorded by Google on March 5. You can also see that any changes I made to the blog since then are not visible, however, I was able to use this page to recover all of the content I lost from my missing blog post. (You can click the image below to go see the cached page in action!)


3. Try to rewrite the post as soon as possible. This will ensure the information is still somewhat fresh in your mind and give you an edge on getting it back online as soon as possible.

4. Alternatively, if the situation becomes too stressful to deal with, rest, re-energize, and put it off until you can focus on the task at hand. Work on other blog posts, or give your mind a break.
Here are some more tips I've learned to keep this little mishap from reoccurring:
  • Backup your blog before trying out new apps and blogging software. The app I used reverted my blog to an earlier point in time while syncing. Since then I've become suspicious of every app and extension. Back it up - I mean it!
  • Backup your posts often. I learned time and time again that the content of my word processor can disappear in a moment's notice, so be sure to copy and paste your post's HTML into an external document in case your browser crashes or some buggy app screws with your blog.

I hope this post has helped you to get back on your feet after all these unpleasant blog shenanigans! For more information, be sure to check out my 7 Steps to Battling Blogger's Block, or my post on Blogging via Smartphone! Thanks for stopping by!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I've done this so many times! A couple of times I purposefully deleted a post, only to find out I deleted the wrong one! For a while I would type every thing up in MS word and then move it over to my blog when it was ready, aha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, too! You can never be too careful. :)

      Delete